PRC National Copyright of Administration (CNAC) is responsible for nationwide copyright registration, including in provinces, autonomous regions, and municipalities. This Law is enacted， in accordance with the Constitution for the purposes of protecting the copyright of authors in their literary， artistic and scientific works and rights and interests related to copyright， of encouraging the creation and dissemination of works which would contribute to the building of an advanced socialist culture and ideology and to socialist material development， and of promoting the development and flourishing of socialist culture and sciences.
For the purpose of Copyright Law，the term “works” includes works of literature, art, natural science，social science，engineering technology and the like which are created in the following forms：
- written works
- oral works
- musical， dramatic， and choreographic works
- Works of fine art and photographic works
- cinematographic， television and video-graphic works
- drawings of engineering designs and product designs， and descriptions thereof
- maps，sketches and other graphic works
- computer software
- other works as provided for in law and administrative rules and regulations
Are there any specific provisions of your copyright laws that address the digital exploitation of works? Are there separate statutory provisions that do so?
Information network transmission rights are covered by the Copyright Law. Moreover, the Regulation on Protection of Information Network Transmission Right specifically addresses this issue. According to the Article 6 Reg. A copyright shall subsist on the date when a work is created.
- Prima facie proof of ownership. Generally favored over testimonial evidence of copyright ownership
- Lowers evidentiary red tape (notarization, etc)
- Can be used to strengthen claims of infringement, including to secure takedown from websites
- Particularly critical if using copyright as a back up to other forms of intellectual property protection
Copyright owners and the obligees related to copyright may authorize a collective management organization of copyright to exercise the copyright or the rights related to copyright. The collective management organization of copyright may, after being authorized, claim rights in its own name for the copyright owners and the obligees related to copyright, and may, as a party concerned, participate in the litigation and arbitration activities involved with copyright or the rights related to copyright.
A collective management organization of copyright shall be a non-profit organization, and the method of its establishment, its rights and obligations, the collection and distribution of the royalty for copyright licensing, as well as the supervision and management over it shall be separately provided by the State Council. Copyright owners or owners of the rights related to the copyright may authorize collective copyright administration organizations to exercise their copyright or rights related to the copyright.
Upon authorization, a collective copyright administration organization may exercise the copyright or the rights related to the copyright in its own name for the copyright owner or the owner of the rights related to the copyright and participate as a party in legal or arbitration proceedings concerning the copyright or the rights related to the copyright.